Renovation Directory

1189 09a 42 Mark Scott 01.13 Glenageary.jpg

Making period properties work for contemporary living is a persistent challenge. In the July/August issue, Gearóid Carvill, of abgc, offers some practical advice. Find more information and links below.

Is your building Protected?

If a building is Protected then almost no work, internal or external, can be undertaken without applying for some form of permission either via planning application or a Declaration. Declaration applications typically allow for repair and maintenance of any existing structures but don’t typically allow for extensions.

As well as checking whether a property is listed in the local authority’s record of protected structures, you should check whether it is located in an ACA Architectural Conservation Area, which would be highlighted in Development Plan maps. Though your house may not be Protected (RPS) within an ACA all external works regardless of being elsewhere exempted development will now require a Planning Application with an impact assessment of how the proposed works will affect the character of the area.

Sources of research information

Local Library: who usually collect items of local interest

Local historical society: offer more in depth studies on events and places

Glucksman Map Library at Trinity College: large repository of historical maps, by appointment only

Thoms Street Directory 1844: Record of business and residents

Griffiths Valuations 1848: descriptions and valuations of property, owners and occupiers

Irish Architectural Archive

National Archives: for 1901 and 1911 census information

Title Deeds: available from your solicitor

Registry of Deeds/Land Registry

NIAH National Inventory of Architectural Heritage: on-going research documentation throughout Ireland of historical buildings

The Royal Irish Academy: series of historic town atlases 


SEAI Better Energy Home Scheme

Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme

Built Heritage Investment Scheme

Structures at Risk Fund

Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and Revenue Commissioners - Relief for Expenditure on Approved Buildings and Gardens in the State

Tax relief is available for the owner of an approved heritage building. This is encompassed under Section 482 of the Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997

The Living City initiative focuses on the regeneration of retail and commercial districts and encouraging people to live in the historic centres of Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Limerick and Waterford.

Irish Georgian Society Conservation Grants Scheme (not just for Georgian building)

Specialist Skills and Advice


Register of Conservation accredited architects 

Irish Georgian Society

Also the IGS have an annual course of repair of historic properties for building owners

Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government 

FEATURED IMAGE A beautifully restored piano nobile in Glenageary by designer Maria McVeigh. 





Amanda Kavanagh